Gryphon Gazette

P.E. and Basketball!

Nick H and Mario F

Soon, there will be beeping sounds all over the gym because NSA students will be taking the California  pacer test.  Every school in California is required to do certain physical fitness tests. The pacer test is a lengthy test that evaluates your running ability. In the year 2012 a P.E. teacher named Mr. Ferris got the score of 144 on the pacer test! So far, the 2017 record for the pacer test is about 85.

Students have many opinions about our physical education program here at NSA.  Fourth grader Logan T. said, he likes P.E because it helps him exercise his body and stay active. As a joke, Logan said he thought P.E stands for “pointless education” instead of physical educatio but he doesn’t really think that. Another 4th grader, Dylan P had a different take on our physical education program.  

“P.E is a buff person’s paradise and a nerds hell,” he said.

The coaches have worked hard to prepare for PE this year. Over the summer each of the coaches jot down activities in their notebook that they may do for each grade, such as Mario Kart Racing. Once school starts the coaches pick activities to do from their small notebook that they wrote in over the summer.

Have you noticed that there are a lot less P.E. teachers in the 2017-2018 school year? Last year there were 15 different P.E. teachers in total which made P.E. hard. This year there are only 3 different P.E. coaches which means one for each class. This makes it much easier for kids to remember who their  teacher is. These changes in our program make P.E. flow much better than it did in previous years.

Coach Aaron, and Coach Matt are coaching the basketball enrichment this year. One downside to this enrichment is that in the beginning of the enrichment they never warmup such as doing, drills. Instead they just play knockout or shoot around. Scrimmages are something they do often but students say the teams aren’t always fair  and end up dominating the other teams. Even though there are downsides to the basketball enrichment there are still many great reasons to sign up for it if you love basketball.

Coach Matt´s least favorite part of coaching is finding an activity that everyone likes so no one will sit out. His favorite part of coaching is the kids. Coach Matt lives in San Francisco.

Did you know that Mr. Cagle is a Martial artist? ¨I have a more of an art background than  a sports background,¨”he said.

Mr. Cagle just returned from Italy recently. He stayed there for about 2 weeks. Mr. Cagle is pretty sure that Coach Aaron was an offensive lineman in college when he played football.

1 Comment

One Response to “P.E. and Basketball!”

1. Nick on January 24th, 2018 2:47 pm

great story!

[Reply]

If you want a picture to show with your comment, go get a gravatar.

• Sports

Volleyball Enrichment

• P.E. and Basketball!

Sports

4th – 5th Grade Basketball

• P.E. and Basketball!

School News

Behavior and Actions in the Hallways

• Arts & Entertainment

Star Wars The Last Jedi

• P.E. and Basketball!

Opinion

Celeste Review

• P.E. and Basketball!

Arts & Entertainment

Stitchery Enrichment

• P.E. and Basketball!

School News

New Rules For Computer Use

• P.E. and Basketball!

School News

Takis

• Sports

Volleyball Enrichment

• P.E. and Basketball!

Sports

4th – 5th Grade Basketball

The Student News Site of North Star Academy
P.E. and Basketball!