Gryphon Gazette

The New Library Policy

Alexander O, Zach N, and Akiyo A

In the past, people enjoyed going to the library any day they wanted. Now, it is different. Nowadays, certain grade levels are allowed to go to the library on certain days. Middle School Scholars can only go on Tuesday and Friday.  Elementary students are able to go Monday and Wednesday. Everyone can go on Thursday. Some students seek to change this policy to allow advancement of the knowledge that students take in.  

The Library has always been a place where student can learn. Reading is important, it expands your knowledge as the saying goes, “Knowledge is power (Francis Bacon).” People get about 80% of their brain knowledge from books. “I miss the times when I could go to the library any day I wanted. When I would just sit there looking for a good book,” reporter Zach N. said.

Zach has been going to the library since 3rd grade and has fond memories reading books and listening to stories being read by the librarian. He and many North Star students remember Ms. Cooper, the librarian, reading books to them.

Though middle schoolers disagree with the rule more, some elementary students don’t agree with the policy.

“Middle schoolers need the library more. But the good news is the library is better with more books.”  said a 5th grade scholar named Ryan C.

4th grader Alyce B. said, ¨ I think the policy is fair for us, Elementary students, but not for the middle schoolers. We get to go three times a week and on the other hand they only get to go two!¨

Reporter Alexander O. said, “I don’t understand what happened? At first, every day of the week, next moment, boom! Three days a week! I miss the times were we could all freely go to the library. I want this policy to change.”

Most of the disagreement is in the middle school (mainly 7th graders). Many people who go to the library think that the three days we get are unfair.

7th grader Hannah D. said, “ The rule isn’t fair, many kids need a serene spot for homework.” She thinks that the rule was most likely set up because the older kids have had too much time in the library.”

In the seventh grade, we have homework almost every night from almost every class. This stresses some students out and those students may want to finish or work on some of their homework so they don’t have to do as much. With the library, people have the chance to get their homework done more quickly.

Another 7th grader, Malaya R. said,“While I don’t believe the rule is fair, it encourages the younger kids to go to the library more.” Mayala thought that the policy was put there to teach people to use their time wisely. Also, the younger audience may be intimidated by us older kids and could possibly be afraid of us.

Although a lot of  kids think that the library policy is not fair while, adults like Mrs. Cooper and Mrs. Shackel think that it’s fair for both middle and elementary school

Ms. Cooper said,  “I think it’s fair, I mean 3,4, and 5th graders get to go their time and middle schoolers get to go another. ¨ She said that third graders follow the rule: eat your lunch first, but don’t get to go. Mostly middle schoolers think it’s unfair. She wants also adults to follow the rules because sometimes they don’t. She also said it is no longer chaotic.

Ms. Shackel said, “The policy is fair because each grade level gets equal time in the library and it makes the library more accessible to students.” The library is not a right,it is a privilege. Because the library is on McKinley campus, we share with the McKinley students and that can be easily taken away from North Star. The other options to sort out the library were that no one went or first come first serve.

Ms. Shackel also said “People have to learn to share.”That is the truth. While people can complain all they want, a change won’t necessarily happen. Us students have to learn to accept and adapt to changes .