Gryphon Gazette

Bathroom Paper Towels- Student Debate

(To have, or not To have paper towels, the question is.)

Ryan C, Reporter

The students walk down the looming, dark, hallway. They pull open the door, and go inside the bathroom, one washes his hands, the second one goes into a stall, and the third one? He just stood there, watching the other two.

Some people are concerned about paper towels in the bathroom, at this moment, we don’t have any paper towels for use.  We used to, but  in 2014  they stopped supplying them because the school did not want to waste any more resources.

Students are pondering on whether we should add paper towels, use them to replace the hand dryers, or to not use them at all. Both drying methods have pros & cons, plus the debates are still ongoing.

“No, there shouldn’t be,” says fourth grader Dylan P. He believes that some people like automatic hand dryers over possibly manual paper towels (the type where you pull a lever to dispense the paper towels). Some people prefer the paper towels, saying that dryers waste energy. Some people also believe that the paper towels waste trees and cluster landfills.

¨Yes, I do.¨ says Mikey R, an fifth-grader. Mikey said that when he dries his hands, he usually dries them on his pants, so he wants the paper towels back in the bathroom. … “and we should also get rid of the paper towels in the classrooms. You could always just go down to the bathrooms if they are there anyways.¨ Mikey stated. Mikey deems the paper towels in classrooms unnecessary. He also says that the dryers do not sufficiently remove all the water from his hands.

Akiyo A, another fifth-grader, says that there should be a wider choice of things to use  than simply going to the bathroom and washing our hands.

“Some people go down to the bathroom to wash their face, not their hands,” says Akiyo.  She also states that it is not enough to use the hand dryer to dry your hands.

Duo Thomas K. and Soren T. say that there also should be paper towels. ¨Yes! Yes! There should be!!! Yes!¨   Thomas states. They think that if they were there, then it would be a lot more convenient for fellow students. ¨Yeah, there should be, my friend.¨ Soren says. They also believe that the paper towels would benefit the school a lot more than the things we have already.

The question is to have the paper towels or not? Well, who can tell, but it will be the decision that decides the issue. You can be part of it too!