Gryphon Gazette

Super Mario Odyssey Review

Luke B., Editor

Super Mario Odyssey

Super Mario Odyssey is the newest game in the Super Mario franchise. It started development on the Nintendo Switch directly after the release of Super Mario 3D World in late 2013, and was finally released four years later in October of 2017, and it did not disappoint.

The game’s plot is basically the same as all of the other Super Mario games, where the princess is captured and your quest is to save her. In this game, however, you get a new companion to join you. His name is Cappy, who is a hat possessed by a ghost who takes the place of Mario’s hat after it was shredded to pieces. Cappy has a variety of uses, from acting as a trampoline for Mario to bounce off of, to being able to possess enemies and use their powers to solve platforming puzzles. These mechanics are what make this game a memorable, joyous experience.

After losing a battle with the antagonist of the game, Bowser, on an airship in the opening cutscene, Mario is launched into the Cap Kingdom without a hat because it is cut up by the blades on Bowser’s ship, and without a way to leave. It’s at this point he meets Cappy, who offers to help Mario save the princess, because Bowser has also kidnapped his sister. Mario uses Cappy’s abilities to cap-ture (as the game calls it) creatures and objects, allowing Mario to control them and use their abilities. Mario and Cappy make their way to the prehistoric Cascade kingdom where they find the Odyssey, which is a hat-shaped spaceship that Mario and Cappy use to travel to the several different kingdoms, which there are 17 of.

Power moons are the main collectible in this game. They’re used to power up the Odyssey to make it reach the new kingdoms. You can’t progress to the next kingdom without collecting the required amount of power moons. Each kingdom has one or more main objectives, and a bunch of secondary objectives.

Completing the main objective(s) of a kingdom will provide you with a bundle of three power moons, and completing one of the many secondary objective will provide you with a singular power moon. For example, the main objectives in the Sand Kingdom are to find and traverse the inverted pyramid by completing platforming challenges to reach the top, where a boss is fought. Then, you’re sent down to the deep, cold, depths of the kingdom where you fight another really fun boss.

Examples of secondary objectives are things like ground pounding certain areas, talking to certain people, and getting a certain score on a minigame. There a lot of moons to collect, 836 to be exact, and about 750 of those being gotten from secondary missions. This is where my main problem with the game comes in. Most of the secondary objectives feel like filler content. Some are cool and fun, but most are really simple and not really a challenge. I appreciate their inclusion, but I would have enjoyed the game much more if there were a third of the amount of moons, if it meant that each one was as fun and great as the primary missions.

There are still tons of other aspects of the game that I like. Most of the kingdoms are memorable and fun to explore. My favorites being the Metro Kingdom, Sand Kingdom, Seaside Kingdom, Lost Kingdom, and Ruined Kingdom. This game throws lots of crazy things at you, which I want to keep a secret because I don’t want to spoil the surprises in this game because you should experience it yourself. Each kingdom has 50 to 100 regional purple coins which can only be used in the kingdom that they are found in. These coins can be used to buy souvenirs and costumes for Mario in the in-game shop.

Not only do the costumes look really great, but they also can allow access into certain rooms that hold power moons if you wear the right one. The bosses are really fun and memorable (even though some of them are repeated from earlier), and everything that you can cap-ture is really fun to use. Some of my favorite cap-tures are the bullet bill which lets you fly around as a missile and break certain objects, the wiggler which lets you extend like an accordion to reach places you couldn’t before, the Pokio which is a bird with a beak that can stick into walls that can fling around places, and a tank that can shoot explosive projectiles. The soundtrack is also phenomenal, and the game controls extremely well. There are a variety of moves that mario can use that make platforming a joy.

This is without a doubt a phenomenal game, and other people agree. Aidan N., who hasn’t played the game yet but knows about it says that he likes the concept, but he is skeptical of its quality because it stars Mario, who is a character he believes Nintendo overuses. Ashley G. and Anika B. say that they like it, and Connor W. says that it is very fun, and has a lot of replay value. Andrew W. says that the game is very fun and detailed. Tyler C. says that “Mario Odyssey is a great, thrilling, game with captivating qualities.” He said that “if you haven’t played this game yet, you’re missing out.” Super Mario Odyssey is a must-play game which stands out among others, and rightfully deserves a 9.5/10.

12 Comments

12 Responses to “Super Mario Odyssey Review”

1. Debbie B on January 25th, 2018 8:09 am

Great review!

[Reply]

Luke Balfanz Reply:

thanks mom I worked hard on it 🙂

[Reply]

2. Janet Zagoria on January 25th, 2018 7:42 pm

I always wondered what this game was about. There are definitely parts that sound fun: power moons, bullet bill, Pokio and my all-time favorite visual, wiggler. The nearest thing we had as kids was a Slinky. Having an accordion for a body sounds like a whole lot more fun, even if it isn’t in 3D (or maybe even 4D). Loved the reviews you included, too.

[Reply]

3. Joan Abrams on January 25th, 2018 8:09 pm

I can’t wait to try this game.

[Reply]

Tyler Clark Reply:

You’ll love it.

[Reply]

4. Luke Balfanz on January 26th, 2018 2:26 pm

I’m glad you enjoyed the article Ryan! I worked really hard on it.

[Reply]

Tyler Clark Reply:

Yee

[Reply]

5. Tyler Clark on January 30th, 2018 2:33 pm

I made it in! Super Mario Odyessy is an amazing game. I love playing it so much, If you have a different opinion though, that’s fine. But don’t attack people who have a different opinion.

[Reply]

6. Aidan N on January 31st, 2018 12:21 pm

I think the is great and all but come on Mario AGAIN. Use someone else.

[Reply]

Tyler Clark Reply:

The switch needed a Mario Game, and the switch already has so many first party IPS, Zelda, Splatoon, Arms, Pokemon, Xenoblade, Fire Emblem and Mario, and that’s not including what’s coming, Kirby, Metriod, Yoshi, Bayonetta and more! Plus, true 3D mario has been missing for 15 years, and this is a return.

[Reply]

7. Eli Maya on January 31st, 2018 2:37 pm

why did you rate it so high

[Reply]

Luke Balfanz Reply:

I rated it really high because I really enjoyed the game, and thought it was phenomenal and a lot better than many others.

[Reply]

If you want a picture to show with your comment, go get a gravatar.

• Super Mario Odyssey Review

Opinion

Coco Movie Review

• Super Mario Odyssey Review

Opinion

The Post

• Super Mario Odyssey Review

Opinion

Deeeep.io

• Super Mario Odyssey Review

Opinion

Star Wars The Last Jedi

• Super Mario Odyssey Review

Opinion

Celeste Review

• Super Mario Odyssey Review

School News

Beloved Third Grade Math & Science Teacher Leaves NSA to Tour the U.S.A

• Super Mario Odyssey Review

Opinion

Coco Movie Review

• Super Mario Odyssey Review

School News

Student Council

• Super Mario Odyssey Review

Opinion

The Post

• Super Mario Odyssey Review

Opinion

Deeeep.io

The Student News Site of North Star Academy
Super Mario Odyssey Review