Gryphon Gazette

The New Lunch Area!

Tyler Y., Reporter

The New Lunch Awning

The new lunch is finally done for students to use! “The reason we made these awnings is, the city passed a measure called measure T and gave all the schools money, so we used ours to make a place to eat.” said principal Mrs. Shackel.

The lunch shelter was also created as a way for all the grades to sit together and converse agong themselfs. “I like the color of the tarp and how you can change it out whenever,” says Maria Diaz-Slocum who is the president of the school board.

“I think the students will enjoy it, because they can get together and talk.” says Dennis Mcbride  the vice president of the school board. The ribbon to the new awning was cut on Friday December 22, 2017 in the morning after the flag salute ceremony. In the spirit of Pajama day the school provided all the students with cookies and milk (if you wanted). Afterward all the students were crowded around the lunch area ready to cut the ribbon of the new North Star lunch area.

The awning also provides shade on hot days and a place to sit on a cold day. Now everybody has a place to eat together. There are also many positives to adding this area such as, it helps contain trash in one certain area during lunch and snack time. This helps the janitors in a great way because all the trash that must be picked up is contained in one isolated area.

This new awning did come with many difficulties as mentioned by Mr McBride. “We had many technical difficulties and took a lot of time and effort to build.” The awning also took many people and many days of planning to help create the new awning you see before you.

Mrs. Shackel agrees, “Yes, It took a lot of planning and took several people like architects, city planners, construction workers, and engineers, they all put in hard work.” The awning is a great success but their are a few downsides such as the tarp on top is not waterproof so the tables under it may be soaking wet after a rainy night. All the 8th graders were the first people to sit in this amazing lunch area. The new lunch area is a lovely addition to North Star and many of the students love it already!