Gryphon Gazette

4th – 5th Grade Basketball

Nick H. and Nolan F.

Basketball Season Has Started!

Shivaan K. said,“It’s fun to be with people. It’s cool to play with kids I don’t know and that goes especially for the fifth-graders. He is a good coach and he always knows what he’s doing. He can be really fun because he doesn’t get mad at anyone so he’s an amazing coach. I like the games. We get to play other schools which is fun but it’s especially fun when we play the other North Star Teams if we win or lose against them. The refs can be fun too. One time we were up by a few points and there was about forty seconds left. The ref was holding ball and the clock was still running so we won.”

Coach Chuck is the coach for North Star Silver. Before our new season started he was surprised when he was elected 4th and 5th grade basketball coach for the year. This is because he said that he would be an assistant coach if there wasn’t anyone else available for this position. Eventually, he received a text saying that he was a coach for the new basketball season at North Star.

During December, North Star Silver had a nail biter game against Adelante. It was a tie for almost the whole game! Then the fourth quarter happened. People started fouling, making far shots and the crowd was crazy! North Star Silver was down by one point and Mr. Robinson was getting scared that the team would lose! Harrison K. then got a great pass and rushed up the court he shot a deep two and the crowd went silent, swish it was in! Then Adelante inbounded the ball and took it up the court. Mario F. dove for the ball and he stole it! He got up off the ground and threw a strong pass to Joseph H. Joseph then dashed up the court to the basket preparing to shoot. Out of nowhere he got fouled and missed the shot. This foul allowed us to take two free shots on the basket Joseph made one shot! Now North Star Silver was up by three points. As Adelante became desperate they gave the ball to their best player to shoot a buzzer beater three. Right before he took the shot Mario F. dove for the ball and stole it, again! Then everyone heard  buzz

When we interviewed Mr. Robinson he said that he enjoyed the games. He thinks the teams are kind of fair “I have no idea how the coaches made the teams” “The refs seem ok but I have not been to that many games so I can’t really say”

North Star White beat Orion 40-16 on November 29th. “It wasn’t my favorite game because the score was not close but if it was pretty close like under 5 points so it’s pretty suspenseful.” said Nick after the game.

“I personally think more teamwork than competitive” I like to meet new people.”  “It’s fun to learn from them and I enjoy how they volunteer their time.” “ I have definitely improved .” “Fans are very encouraging and I love it when Mr. Robinson comes” says Tyler Y.

Previously, North Star Silver (The North Star Nets) beat Charles Armstrong 49-32 on November 29th.At first it was a pretty intense because they were winning…then the score was tied…finally we were in the lead position!At some points they almost came back, but in the end we won the game!

“I think my team is amazing and that we will make the playoff.” “I think the refs need more training because they don’t make a lot of calls”  I think that the try outs could have been a little longer because they didn’t see everyone’s skill  level. Some of the teams have really good players and some teams have under average players.” said Nick H.

“Coach Chuck is one of the best coaches ever.” The teams are evenly divided. I like the people cheering for the whole team not just one person. The games are fun but the team doesn’t pass a lot.” Says Joseph H.

“I like the coaches,  their nice.” “The parents aren’t annoying , but the kids are.” The teams need to improve on dribbling.”Games should be more fun” The teams are even.” says Reeve R.

Mr. Robinson the 4th grade math teach took the pictures for the North Star Nets. Mario . asked their mom to take pictures. Then she did. Then she told Ariv’s mom to take a few pictures. Then she told Nick’s mom to take pictures. “It was pretty distracting with all the the flickers and flashes on the court…” said Nolan during the game.

Coach Chuck said, I was a little nervous because I haven’t coached in a few years. I think it was right to volunteer so kids could have more playing time.Our team hustled really well.Our team ran so much it was hard for the other team to stay with us.I think the kids all have good manners and they love to play basketball.Our goal is to make the playoffs but I would like to see the kids learn from their mistakes every game.

Previously, a few weeks ago, the North Star Nets beat Henry Ford by 2 points. At the end of the halftime, Nick hit a half court buzzer beater and the crowd went crazy. At the end of the game North Star Nets were down by 1 point. The other entire team went crazy thinking that the won. But they reff called a foul because someone fouled Joseph so he had two free throws. This was the most stressful part of the game because if you miss both, you lose, if you make 1, you go into over time and if you make both, you win the game. He missed the first one and everyone in the crowd hung their heads. But Joseph made his second free throw and went into overtime. The score stayed the same (40-40) and went into double overtime. Both of the coaches decided to go into sudden death. Sudden Death is when the first person to score wins the game. This kid who tried to get fancy and do a behind the back, Mario stole the ball and was going down on a 1 on 1 breakaway. But he slipped (he said that he slipped because of the mud under the lunch table in the lunch structures) but luckily he got his rebound and gave it over to Harrison K. He did a hook shot three and Joseph tried to get the rebound. It bounced off of his head and Nolan got the rebound. Nick went around Nolan and he gave Nick the ball. Someone ended up guarding Nick so he threw up a fadeaway three from the corner and it swished. That way, thanks to Nick, Mario, and Joseph, Harrison and Nolan, the North Star Nets beat Henry Ford.