Gryphon Gazette

New Rules For Computer Use

Aditya G., Reporter

New Rules For Computer Use

Some students are misusing the computers by playing games or going on unsuiting websites when they are supposed to be doing work. Ms. Shackle, North Star Academy’s principal, has been working very hard to figure out ways to prevent this improper usage with the computer. She has come up with an amazing idea: Making a new rule. The rule is that if someone goes on an inappropriate site, then they will get a consequence. This consequence can be that violators lose computer privileges or go to the office. Ms. Shackle can detect which websites certain people visit, so it is advised not to go on inappropriate sources.

When asked about the new rule, Ms. Shackle said, “People will definitely listen to the rule because it is the policy. Kids need to understand how technology has an effect on the school day.” Ms. Shackle believes the rule to be working. She has gotten messages that the regulation has been successful, too. She also commented, “If people try to get around the rule they will get in trouble. I have already gotten some kids in trouble.”

Ms. Snyder, the 4th grade language arts and social studies teacher at North Star Academy, said, “There is so little time to do the work so we do not want anybody to be messing around.” She also thought that some students will try to get around the rule, but then get in trouble. Ms. Snyder said that her consequence for going on inappropriate websites is that anyone who violates the rule will lose technology. A lot of teachers have the same consequence, because of the positive affect it is having over violators.

Danny Li, a sixth grader, thinks that the rule is very reasonable. He believes, “If scholars go on inappropriate websites than they should get their privileges taken away. It is nice that the school announced that they can see what scholars are doing. The students should be monitored unless they are doing a test.” He also thought that the rule will be really helpful, because when students go on websites that are off task, their peers will get distracted and not learn properly. Danny’s consequence would be to take away computer privileges for a limit of time and have the scholar do something else while other kids are working on the computer.

Daniil, a 4th grader, has a different take on the new computer rule. He thinks that the rule is acceptable, and said, “The rule is pretty reasonable because students can not do things that they are not allowed to do, they can learn instead of going on the wrong websites.” The student also commented, “People will definitely follow the rule because now the students know that they will be caught.” If he was a teacher, Daniil’s consequence would be to have people lose computer privileges and you have to do everything my hand then you have to copy it on the computer.”