Gryphon Gazette

Stitchery Enrichment

Julia L. and Ava P.

Stitchery

The stitchery enrichment, taught by Ms. Baltay, is a very calm and relaxing enrichment. The students in this class have learned many different types of stitches.

Anika B,  5th grader, said, “ I have learned the stem stitch, the satin stitch and the french knot for embroidery.” These stitches will help them in the future of this enrichment and outside of school.

Lucia R, in 4th grade, said, “so far we are learning stitches so in the end we can make a big project of our own to give.” The project they are doing are mostly to give away to family or friends or you can keep them to yourself.

Mira L, a 4th grader, said, “I am making an Angel for my mom for Christmas and still working on our sampler, and I am almost done.”

This class has a lot of creativity built into it.  Ms. Baltay, who teaches the class, said, “I am teaching them to use embroidery to create decorative images.” They are making very creative images. Stitchery is a very calming and relaxing enrichment. During the class people are very quiet but still talkative. Most of the students seem to work quietly and not disturb one another. The students all went up to Ms. Baltay and asked her for help whenever it was needed.

Mira L said, “I feel great about this enrichment because it is a calming art.”  Some seemed to be working on computers, but most of the students were learning stitches. “Right now we are learning about six stitches,” she added. The students all went up to Ms. Baltay and asked her for help whenever it was needed.

Lucia R, a 4th grader, said, “…later on I will know how to sew and stitch.” At the end of each class Ms. Baltay would always teach the students something new.