Gryphon Gazette

Behavior and Actions in the Hallways

Daniil G., Reporter

In a perfect world, when people walk through the hallway of the two story building at North Star, they would see helpful people picking up trash, moving backpacks out of the center of the hallway and asking the kids to be quiet and courtesy as walking through it. That would be how a respectful and thoughtful student would behave during the chaotic time of transitioning to recess in the school hallways.

Sadly, today observers can see students running down the hallway, teachers screaming at unruly wild students and doors of the classrooms slamming closed. The hallway is blanketed with backpacks on the floor and candy wrappers just tossed away onto the ground. That is not how we want to be remembered. As North Star students, we should have a hallway that is clean and full of courtesy and thoughtful students. This type of behavior that can occur in the hallway must stop and be corrected.

At a recent assembly for the third-graders to the sixth-graders Ms. Shackel talked to us about the rules for the hallway and how to behave properly. Students were expected to walk at all times, keep their belongings in their locker, and pick up any mess they create in the hallway.

Tiko, from 4th grade, said,“To stop bad hallway behavior we can make signs that say “No bad hallway behavior.”Visual promotion and reminders is a great solution to help fix the disruptive mess that currently occurs in the hallway, and the bad behavior of the students. Tiko also added that, “The bad hallway can interfere with somebody’s concentration and can disrupt learning”.

“We have tried to stop bad hallway behavior by the assembly and by teachers shouting.” said the Principal. The teacher’s shouting is not the best way of stopping bad hallway behavior. There are a lot of other better ways like making signs (as Tiko said) and talking about hallway behavior on assemblies, etc. We really need to improve our hallway behavior, but with smart rule promotion and discipline solutions, betterment in our school corridors is possible and can eventually be fixed.