Gryphon Gazette

Magic the Gathering

Nickita Khylkouski, Writer

Constantine and his buddies play Magic every day at the lunch tables under the blue awning.  One reason he has such a loyal group of followers is that he will give away cards for free. “Magic, the Gathering” is a popular card game that involves trading and battling with a special set of cards.  There are magical creatures and special powers.

A new set came out on Oct. 5, and it is called “Guilds of Ravnica.” There are about 10 people that regularly play with Constantine now, so you can join in. Their best player is Constantine but William is a close second. They play at lunch and sometimes recess. They also play Magic at the Magic club in Mrs. Snyders room on Monday’s in Room 243. Everyone is welcome to join.

Constantine has been playing magic since he was 8 then stopped for a while. He started up again just last year. Constantine said, “Magic is a fun strategic game and makes people communicate.” William is one of Constantine’s buddies. He said that magic is a strategic game but in order to win you also have to be smart. William started playing just last year.

Kai is a 5th grader who went to the magic club. He prefers to be in a room instead of being outside because outside your cards will be blown away while inside they won’t. He would like it if there were more 5th graders so if you are a fifth grader and know how to play Magic come to the magic club in room 243 at lunch. He also liked that you can eat and play magic. Kai has played Magic for three years and he likes it because it is complicated.  

Joe is a 4th grader who also went to the Magic club.  He has been playing for about 4 years and he said that “…even if you have a bad deck you can still win.”  He likes playing inside the building because there is shade. He likes Magic because it is complicated, but you will get the hang of it and gets much easier. Another thing that Joe recommends is https://mtgcardsmith.com. This website will let you make magic the gathering cards for free.

You play Magic the gathering by summoning creatures and spells, you summon creatures and spells by using mana, there are different types of mana some examples are islands, swamps, forests, and mountains. You use you use creatures and spells to help you win the game by defeating the opponent.  You defeat the opponent by getting rid of their 20 lives. Magic is a very fun game to play so come to the magic club!

15 Comments

15 Responses to “Magic the Gathering”

1. The MTG community. on October 29th, 2018 10:54 am

Boi, NO OFFENSE but, OOOOOOOOOOOOFFFFFFFFFFFFFF my guy you just offended all the other Magic players. “Followers” its like we are apart of Const’s cult or something.

2. constantine on October 29th, 2018 2:48 pm

these are just friends of mine and friends within themselves not MY loyal friends as you stated just wanted to clerify fully agree on will being second best.

3. Arjun(Part of the Magic Community) on October 29th, 2018 2:52 pm

This is the most inaccurate article I have ever read. “Constantine and his buddies play Magic every day at the lunch tables under the blue awning. One reason he has such a loyal group of followers is that he will give away cards for free.” This is the most terrible atrocity ever committed. “some examples are islands, swamps, forests, and mountains” You’ve left out PLAINS! THIS IS NOT ALRIGHT AND IF THIS IS NOT CORRECTED THERE WILL BE PROBLEMS!
    1. Constantine has stopped playing.
    2. News articles are not intended to outlets of opinion. These aren’t facts, they’re lies!
    3. We are not Const’s “followers”. That is a lie. We don’t come here because Constantine is here.
    4. CONST BEING THE BEST PLAYER IS A MATTER OF OPINION YOU FOOLS!
    5. I WAS THE FIRST PERSON TO RECOMMEND MTGCARDSMITH, NOT JOE! WE TOLD JOE LONG AFTER I FOUND MTGCARDSMITH!

4. Drake Phillips on October 31st, 2018 2:41 pm

yes news articles are supposed to voice peoples opinions as well as facts. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    This article is under OPINION if you do not agree with it then its fine.

5. Sharad Luna on October 29th, 2018 2:52 pm

This is such false info. Many of these “facts” are downright lies. “Loyal group of followers”(P 1) is making this club sound like a cult. Also not that many people play regularly. (about 4). Constantine has stopped playing days before this article was published. Constantine being the best player is opinion, not fact.

6. ESAI LUNA on October 29th, 2018 2:54 pm

WRONG!!! WE DO NOT PLAY AT THE MTG CLUB AND YOU DO NOT HAVE THE RIGHT TO CALL US “BUDDY.” IN THE ARTICLE, IT SAYS “Their best player is Constantine but William is a close second.” EXCUSEMUA! OPINION! BRUH, THEY DIDN’T EVEN ASK HIS SO-CALLED “BUDDIES”! DUDE, PLUS, UNLESS YOU ARE POOR, HIM GIVING OUT CARDS DOES NOT HAVE ANYTHING TO DO WITH OUR FRIENDSHIP. I AM NOT CONSTANTINE’S FOLLOWER! I AM ME AND I BELIEVE THAT YOU SHOULD PUT MY NAME. ALSO, JOE DID NOT BRING UP MTGCARDSMITH! I TOLD HIM ABOUT IT, AND MY FRIEND ARJUN BROUGHT IT UP IN THE FIRST PLACE! AND MY FRIEND BRIAN WAS THE ONE WHO BROUGHT MAGIC TO THE SCHOOL!

7. Drake Phillips on October 31st, 2018 2:36 pm

epic ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

8. Nickita Khylkouski on October 30th, 2018 2:16 pm

we cant change it because we arent here to please people.

9. teddy on October 31st, 2018 2:44 pm

I. AM. Offended

10. Mrs. Snyder on October 31st, 2018 3:46 pm

A note from the Editor in Chief —

As we learn the craft of journalism we do strive for accuracy. If you have a factual mistake that needs to be fixed we can run a correction. You need to come to room 243 at lunch next Monday and talk to Mrs. Snyder about it. In the meantime, please refrain from making anonymous comments. If you have something to say, put your name on it or come and talk to Mrs. Snyder at lunch on Monday.

11. Sharad Luna on November 1st, 2018 2:39 pm

I understand this is an opinion article but seriously, Stop Making Us Sound Like We Are A CULT. Constantine is not our leader. We play magic when he doesn’t on MANY occasions. Get better sources. Also you say we play under the blue awning and then you say we play in the magic club? Dude decide what you want to say.

12. Ruth Snyder on November 2nd, 2018 8:25 pm

As I said in my front page editorial —If there are inaccuracies please come and see me in room 243 and we will correct the mistake. There has been one article and over 20 replies decrying how horrible it was. Tell me specifics that we can correct and please refrain from using such mean spirited rhetoric. This was not an attempt to falsely portray your community. It was a first term reporter doing his best to write a story about your group and he has been met with an onslaught of angry accusatory public comments. If you really want this corrected you know what to do. I am there most days at lunch.

13. Alan on November 5th, 2018 9:00 am

ACTUALLY ARJUN I WAS THE FIRST TO DO MTG LIKE FOUR YEARS AGO

14. teddy on November 5th, 2018 2:46 pm

This comment section is out of control.

15. Teddy on November 7th, 2018 2:35 pm

Who’s Constantine? sorry if I sound like a idiot.

If you want a picture to show with your comment, go get a gravatar.

• Magic the Gathering

Opinion

Life Burns

• Magic the Gathering

Opinion

Gun Safety

• Magic the Gathering

Opinion

Lunch Ladies; Basic Units of Life

• Magic the Gathering

Opinion

From Newspaper Reporter to Amazing Teacher

• Opinion

Spirit Days and What People Think About Them

• Magic the Gathering

Opinion

Cafeteria Food: Great Taste vs. Huge Waste

• Magic the Gathering

Opinion

A Problem with Trash

• Magic the Gathering

All Day Enrichment

The Gardening Enrichment’s Full Day Enrichment

• Magic the Gathering

School News

PE Equipment

• Magic the Gathering

School News

New Teacher Getting Married

The Student News Site of North Star Academy
Magic the Gathering