Gryphon Gazette

Life Burns

Alex O., Writer

Two weeks ago, my family and I were driving back from Lake Tahoe. There was a lot of traffic. We were wondering why? As my family turned around a bend on the freeway, there was a wildfire. The sky was covered with clouds of smoke. Fire trucks zoomed past us while helicopters flew overhead.

Wildfires have been raging fiercely lately, but what causes them? Well, 70 – 80% are caused by people, according to a volunteer firefighter, Fred E  last name? . He became a firefighter after he moved from the Bay Area to Mendocino County. Mendocino County had the biggest wildfire in the history of California. This history breaking wildfire burned  283 thousand acres this past summer Unlike in big cities, in rural areas and small towns, many firefighters, are volunteers.

“We have a lot of training, including structural fires, wildfires, car rescues (for example, when a car falls of a steep hill, we need to know how to get the possibly injured person to safety) and medical training,” Fred said.

Fred’s first mission happened around 11:00 p.m. and lasted until 5:00 a.m. It was a fire on a steep hill so, while spraying with the hoses uphill, rocks might lose their balance because of the jet of water, and fall.

“With every fire, you learn something new. This time was the rocks.” he also said.

Mrs. Kekos, our new Vice Principal, has some property in the area of the wildfires. Nothing was burned! However, the fire was one mile away from her cabin. Her family sets cameras to watch the animals that enter onto their property, and after the fire was over, they looked at the pictures, and the sky was orange.

“I think that they (wildfires) are very dangerous and can cause great damage, and spread for miles, so people should evacuate, as soon as you see a wildfire.” said Rhys R, a 5th  grader.

Should we stop them? Yes. Why are they bad? They kill and destroy. People should be more careful around fires. Don’t let campfires burn for too long and if you go camping light a fire only on days when there is no fire danger and when you leave make sure that the fire is COMPLETELY put off. And for goodness sake, if you see a wild fire, call 911.

3 Comments

3 Responses to “Life Burns”

1. cayden on November 5th, 2018 2:39 pm

You should not state two week ago because someone could be reading a month or two later.

2. Teddy on November 5th, 2018 2:52 pm

How is this really school news? I mean how this have a big effect on the school? Fire safety or something? Just saying

3. Lucas Balfanz on November 6th, 2018 2:30 pm

Not everything published to this newspaper is directly related to the school. That’s why this article is filed under “Opinion” rather than “School News.” If you’re looking for school news, check there. Sorry for the misunderstanding, Teddy :/

If you want a picture to show with your comment, go get a gravatar.

• Life Burns

Opinion

Magic the Gathering

• Life Burns

Opinion

Gun Safety

• Life Burns

Opinion

Lunch Ladies; Basic Units of Life

• Life Burns

Opinion

From Newspaper Reporter to Amazing Teacher

• Opinion

Spirit Days and What People Think About Them

• Life Burns

Opinion

Cafeteria Food: Great Taste vs. Huge Waste

• Life Burns

Opinion

A Problem with Trash

• Life Burns

All Day Enrichment

The Gardening Enrichment’s Full Day Enrichment

• Life Burns

School News

PE Equipment

• Life Burns

School News

New Teacher Getting Married

The Student News Site of North Star Academy
Life Burns