WE walk for water

Back to Article
Back to Article

WE walk for water

Children carry jerry can in Wajir. For most families it can take more than six hours to collect water for the family each day.

Anna Ridout/ Oxfam

Anna Ridout/ Oxfam

Anna Ridout/ Oxfam

Henry S., Writer

The WE Walk For Water event was hosted by Mrs. Vance because we want to support the families in Kenya. They suffered because families in Kenya have to walk miles to drink water.  Kenya citizens have to walk 1 mile just to get a gallon of water. You can just open your kitchen drawer and pull that out! Kenya drinks the water they get from under the mud. They have to dig a deep hole to do this. This is a hard task for them and especially because the water they drink is hot, dirty, contaminated, and nasty. This year WE walk for water event was located in the gym due to rainy weather, also a place you wouldn’t get soaked from the water. They used sand instead of using water. They settled the sand in paper bags for the students to carry around the circular blue tape track. There was blue tape around the track where we would circle around. Since it was inside, they had to sort the students into smaller groups. They decided to split the kids with their buddies: The third and sixth-grade buddies, the fourth and seventh-grade buddies, and the fifth and the eight grade buddies. To make the groups even smaller they split up the buddy groups: first boy then girl. There were two stations; the middle school art station with the trivia, and the walk with the sand station. We had to walk the track as many times as we could.  The sandbags were really light because they weren’t filled all the way unlike the containers of water.