Tired Teachers!

Tired Teachers!

Daniel K, Reporter

Almost 80 million teachers right now are forced to leave the classroom and teach students through the internet. There are so many new applications that the teachers have to learn how to use. And the teachers have almost no free time! Things like emails and Google Classroom need to be checked DAILY because you can’t just normally talk to someone.
Mrs Roth, a third grade teacher said, “Distance learning requires a lot more time. With DL we don’t see parents before or after school, or talk one-on-one with scholars
during the day, so there are A LOT more emails.”
The teachers also need to get used to more apps. Apps like Google Meet need precision to use correctly.
“For me so many of the apps are new. Luckly, my students are very savvy,” said Mrs.l Roth. However there is an upside said Mrs. Roth. “There are no fights for the bathroom, nobody is crying, no banging lockers. It’s just so peaceful and quiet.”
Teachers also spend an insane amount of time at the computer. First of all, they need to be at all the classes which is already around 3 and a half hours. They have to go to office hours and enrichment which is another 1 ½ hours. Then a lot more additional time spent on emails and checking homework. Occasional teachers have meetings,and they spend time on posting homework, There’s barely any time for testing the new apps.
“I spent a lot of time over the summer learning new apps like nearpod and screencastify, “ said Mrs. Snyder. “Then the school year started and we had to learn how to navigate the iready assessment system,” added the 5th grade teacher.
Mr. Robinson, who teaches 4th grade math said he spends 60-80 per week but on weekends he tries to limit it to 3-4 hours per day. He said being at home gives him more freedom.
“I can go get a cup of coffee whenever I want.” But he added that he misses the personal contact with the students.
Mrs. Sjolund, a 5th grade Science and ELA teacher, says she spends about 9.5 hours on weekdays and no more than 4 hours on weekend days.
“Online is harder, because in person I can get feedback instantly. Now, I can’t just walk up to you in the hallway or the blacktop,” she said. The upside to teaching from home is that she gets to see her husband, her dog and she can get herself a cup of tea. However it’s not worth it.
“I miss you guys. I miss being in the classroom,” she said.
Ms. Fadel, who teaches 7th and 8th grade math, said she probably spends about 12 hours a day and said it is easier to teach in person because there are fewer tech issues. She also likes that she is learning a lot of new things. One big thing Ms. Fadel misses is “getting to physically be with the other teachers and students.”
You might think being the principal at a distance learning school is easier, but it’s not.
“I have a LOT of meetings,” said principal Ms. Shackle. She said she spends about 10 hours per day. Most of her time goes to meeting with the teachers individually, in small or large groups, watching the teachers teach online, and meetings with the school district. The principal also has a lot of emails to check. And then there’s all of the school announcements and lastly, the Gryphon Gatherings.
Ms. Shackle said she doesn’t like that she doesn’t get to see the students in person every day, but she admitted that when school is online there are fewer distractions. Like it or not, she realizes that this is our current reality and said we need to do distance learning because “Everybody stays safer this way.” And that’s what really matters.