New Teacher at North Star?

New Teacher at North Star?

Eli and Henry

Mr. Flint, the 7/8th grade Social Studies teacher, is a new staff member to North Star. Mr. Flint is replacing Mr. Duncan who taught at North Star for 14 years. “This is my 11th year teaching.” Mr. Flint said, “I taught for the past two years in San Francisco. For six years before that I taught in Richmond for the West Contra Costa Unified School District and I started my career teaching in Los Angeles.”
Mrs. Shackel, the principal, says “I am very excited. He loves history and his students and it’s clear to see in his classroom.” She also explained, “I like how creative he is, and how much he cares about his students. This is his first year at North Star and this year has been very Funky for everybody. Including the old and new teachers at North Star.
Mr. Flint thinks, “Online learning is interesting. On one hand, it’s nice to be able to do my job from the comfort of my own home, but I also miss getting to be with my students! I’m new, so I’ve never even met my students in person, and I would really like to soon!”
For all teachers there is an opportunity to learn a new thing and adapt to the new environment at home. Mr. Flint is one of those teachers that has to deal with the new distance learning. Mrs. Shackel added that, “He works very well, particularly with the other teachers in his grade levels. He works hard to make lessons interesting and fun for students.” She also explained how much of a hard worker he is, and how much he contributes.
Joseph, an 8th grader at North Star, said, “He invites the whole class to participate. He tries to get the class involved and asks other people.” Joseph is part of the 8th grade Social Studies class. Overall Joseph said, “I like him pretty well.” even though he thought he might talk a little bit too much.
Tyler, an 8th grader at North Star, said “I like how Mr. Flint is very understanding about any circumstances that are going on such as late work for any reason whether it be a holiday or a family problem, he understands it all and will be forgiving. Mr. Flint is a great teacher and makes all his classes fun with a sense of humor.” He also said, ”Mr. Flint is not strict at all, but at the same time he expects the best from us as 8th graders and he has expectations for us, so we can’t just do whatever we want. He is a great person and I think he is a great addition to the 7th and 8th grade team. He has a great sense of humor and he reflects his personality through his teaching.” To sum it all up Tyler said, “ I didn’t really know what to expect of Mr. Flint because I literally got my schedule a couple of days before school started and I saw “Flint” and I was quite confused. I logged on to Google meets for the 1st day of school and I saw this guy, with a big red beard, smiling and greeting us as we filed into the virtual classroom. Honestly I was quite excited to meet him and he is all I could wish for in a teacher.”
Mr. Flint said, “My favorite thing about North Star is the student body. From my academic classes to my enrichment class, I’ve found that students are so intellectually curious here! They don’t just want to do what they need to do, they are driven by their curiosity and desire to learn and achieve. Whatever the task is, they want to do the best at it that they can. Whether that’s a debate, a reader’s theatre performance, or just a little game of Kahoot!”, North Star students go for it and put their whole heart into everything they do! He also likes a little bit of humor, “They’re the worst… just kidding! All of my students are awesome, no exceptions!”.