Ms. Shackles thoughts on Gryphon Gatherings.

Vida, Reporter

You most likely have heard of the Gryphon Gathering if you are a student at NSA. The Gryphon Gathering is a zoom meeting set up by Ms. Shackel, the principal at North Star Academy. The 3rd-8th graders join this zoom meeting every Wednesday. During this zoom meeting Ms. Shackel, Ms. Anna, Mrs. Sitte, and Mrs. Noriega (principal, secretary, counselor, and vice principal) talk to us students about upcoming events, social emotional learning, and student council announcements.
Ms. Shackel said, “I wanted to do the GG because we needed time to connect as a school. Plus I miss the scholars and I really wanted to have a time to see them.” As you can see, Ms. Shackel feels like staying connected is important, even if we are in a hard and difficult situation
The grade levels are split up when doing Griffon Gatherings. 3rd grade through 5th grade students have their Gryphon Gatherings at 9:00 A.M , while grades 6th through 8th do them at 10:00 A.M. Ms. Shackel also organizes grade level breakout rooms for each grade. During the 3rd through 5th grade Gryphon Gathering, students attend the breakout rooms at 9:30. The 3rd grade goes into a breakout room with Ms. Shackel, the 4th grade goes into a breakout room with Ms. Noriega, and the 5th grade goes into a breakout room with Ms. Sitte.
“I would say there is not much that is hard about it, just making the time to get everything done.” It is true that in the Gryphon Gatherings there is a lot to discuss, and not much time.
Ms Shackle said her goal for starting the meetings was “… to provide a time when we can connect as a school.” “kids need to have time to talk. It is too hard in the big group, so in the smaller groups it is much easier for people to talk.”
Ms. Shackel says she hopes we learn things from the meetings. “I think the Gryphon Gathering will teach us that we are still connected and it will teach us that even during this difficult time, we are connected as a community.”