Social Emotional Learning

Social Emotional Learning

Fyo, Reporter

You may have noticed something new this year. All the NSA teachers are teaching lessons about us — our emotions and our inner selves and how to regulate our feelings. It’s called Social Emotional learning (SEL for short)
A 5th grader named Pranav explains it this way. “SEL is where teachers ask you questions and then they teach you lessons about how we embrace ourselves and important things about your emotions.” Pranav added, “I think the purpose of SEL is to teach you important lessons about your life.”
Ms. Sitte is a huge fan of SEL learning. “I think SEL is one of the most useful things that we can teach. It affects every aspect of life.” She added “It affects your life because it’s a part of being a human and it’s a part of being able to live in society with other people.”
North Stars 5th grade Science Teacher Ms.Sjolund said “I think SEL also helps us put ourselves in student’s shoes so that we can empathize more with students so we can really try to understand what students are feeling and to remind ourselves that students have emotions and you might not understand everything going on right now especially with Covid and everything so it’s good for all of us to talk about it so it’s even good for the teachers. It’s such a crazy time right now it’s good for all of us to keep talking.”
The jury is still out. We will hopefully see that this new SEL is helping us to be out better selves. And who know — it might even help us with our academic learning as well!