Online Learning Vs In-person Learning

Which one is better?

Online Learning Vs In-person Learning

Jasmine, Reporter

Have you ever wondered whether students prefer distance learning or in-person learning? Because of Covid 19, many students had to learn online last year. However, this year, students have been allowed back at school to learn in person. Although, the students have to wear masks the whole day, except when they’re eating, to prevent the spread of Covid 19.
Ihra, a 6th grader said, “I learned a bit more about myself in online learning.” Ihra likes online learning better because it’s easier to use and she feels happier doing group work when it is online. Other students feel like online learning and in person learning are equally good.
Some teachers disagree, though. Ms. Snyder said, “I prefer in-person teaching because online, when students don’t turn on their cameras, I don’t know if they are learning or even listening.” Also things at home can distract from teaching. One time, while Ms. Snyder was on Zoom teaching a class, her cat sat on her computer and logged the computer out.
Mrs. Minor, a 6th grade teacher, said that during online learning, at recess she can watch the birds and feed her cats. When she is at school, she misses her cats. However, Mrs. Minor prefers in-person learning because seeing “children’s face[s] makes [her] happy” and because “we all need each other for a happy life.” Mrs. Minor says her experience teaching in-person is complete joy.
Some people think that online learning was hard for them, while others feel that online learning was better for them. During online learning, many people had to spend a lot of time on the computer. Some students feel that it is a relief to be off of the computer all day.
Many students at NSA said that they think they learned more during in person learning. Elias, a 3rd grader said, “I think that I learned more during in-person learning because my teacher can check my work.” Other 3rd graders feel similar. Another 3rd grader said that she learned more during in-person learning because during online learning, her family was distracting her, so she couldn’t concentrate.
Hannah and Yilan, 5th graders said that they think they learned more during in-person learning because the teacher can demonstrate better and there are no glitches on the internet, which is something all of us have become accustomed to.
It seems that most people prefer in person learning to online learning. However, it also seems that more solitary people prefer online learning to in-person learning.