Halloween 2021

Creepy Monsters Walking Around!

Halloween 2021

Elizabeth, Reporter

It’s nighttime and you’re all alone. There are monsters around every corner, as well as witches, ghosts and skeletons. Only you’re not afraid, you’re actually enjoying yourself! The houses are covered in scary decorations and children are going from door to door asking for candy. The moon is full and you are going trick or treating. It is Halloween!

Halloween is a holiday celebrated each year on October 31. The tradition originated with the ancient Celtic festival of Samhain, when people would light bonfires and wear costumes to scare away ghosts. In the eighth century, Pope Gregory III declared November 1 as a time to honor all saints. Soon, All Saints Day incorporated some of the traditions of Samhain. The evening before was known as All Hallows Eve, and later Halloween. Over time, Halloween evolved into a day of activities like trick-or-treating, carving jack-o-lanterns, festive gatherings, donning costumes and eating treats.

Some people love Hallowee they love the scares, the costumes and the candy! They think it is fun to be scared and they love dressing up! But others feel like Halloween is scary and would rather be handing out the candy than going trick or treating. 

“I love it. I like Halloween because there are so many different ways to have a good time no matter how old you are.” said Ann Miller, a mother of a 5th and 3rd grader,  At school she added, “People can put so much effort into their costumes. It’s great that they have an opportunity to show off their hard work and creativity. I think a parade is nice.”

When people go out on Halloween they wear costumes. Some people dress up as scary things like witches, ghosts, and monsters. Others dress up as characters from their favorite stories, movies, or video game characters. Others will just dress up as their favorite things like princesses, bananas, and toys. 

Cyrus K from 3rd grade says, “I’m gonna try to be Link from Legend of Zelda. My mom said I could trick or treat with my friends.”

At some schools and public communities Halloween is a big deal and they have a huge party. In other places Halloween is just a chance to have fun. And some people don’t celebrate it at all. At North Star we will have a Halloween costume contest and some of the teachers do fun things in class.  

Mrs. Machemer, a 4th grade science teacher says,  “I’m hoping we can dissect pumpkins and learn more about pumpkins.  My favorite part of Halloween is the candy. Definitely the candy.” 

The Halloween costume contest is always fun. If you want to be in the contest you go up when someone calls your grade, then tell them what you are dressed up as. All the other students will clap if they like your costume. The student with the most claps wins. When asked what she thought of the virtual costume contest last year Eleanor P said, “I liked all the creativity and seeing everyone come together. I liked the cow and Link costumes because I was dressed up as Zelda.”

When Anesh G, the student council treasurer, from 5th grade was asked if the student council had any plans for Halloween he said, “Yeah, so we’re going to do Boo Grams and a Halloween parade. We are going to have a prize for the best dressed for the Halloween parade.” boo grams are little toys and gifts that you can buy to send to your friends on holidays. Mrs. Shackle says “We will celebrate halloween on friday since it is on a sunday. We will probably do a parade and costume contest like the previous years.”

A lot of families have Halloween traditions like carving pumpkins, decorating the house, creating their own costumes and many other things. Sara D, from 5th grade says, “We celebrate by preparing our costumes 2 months before, and then 3 weeks before we start decorating like crazy. I look forward to dressing up with my friend and going to school in my costume.” What are your traditions?