Vaccine for Kids: Is it Safe?

Should kids take it?

Vaccine for Kids: Is it Safe?

Daniel, Reporter

Do you hate getting shots? Will you make an exception for Covid-19 vaccine? Kids 12 and up are now allowed to take the 1st and 2nd Covid vaccine of Pfizer! Many of our students have taken the vaccine or want to take it!

Middle schooler, Aaron, took the 1st and 2nd vaccine of Pfizer and says that on the first he felt, “Tired, and my hand hurt.” On the second he added  that he had“… a mix of symptoms, fever, headache, and chills.” He thinks it was worth it taking the vaccine and before he took it he wanted to take it.

The Pfizer Covid vaccine is planned to be allowed for 5-11 year-olds in the close future. Many of our students that are not 12 yet want to take it too.

Lucas, a 5th grader, hasn’t taken the vaccine and he says, “I think they should try to fix that there will be no temperature and other symptoms when you take the vaccine.” He wants to take the vaccine when he will be 12.

The Pfizer vaccine is still under an emergency authorization for kids 12-15, Pfizer tests show that the vaccine is 100% effective for kids 12-15. According to the Mayo Clinic, and the Centers for Disease Control (CDC) The most frequent reactions for kids after the dose were injection site pain, fatigue (extreme tiredness), headache, and myalgia (pain in a muscle or a group of muscles).

Another student, Henry Y, from the KNSA enrichment, says, “I don’t want to take it, I am kinda afraid of needles.” He also says , “My mom doesn’t want me to take it, she is kind of anti vaccine.” He would prefer Moderna if he was to take it because he heard it is the most effective vaccine.

Here are some reasons why kids should take the vaccine CDC says in their article:

• Covid 19 vaccines are safe and effective
  • COVID-19 vaccines have been used under the most intensive safety monitoring in U.S. history, which includes studies in adolescents.
  • Your child will need a second shot of the Pfizer-BioNTech COVID-19 Vaccine 3 weeks after their first shot.
  • Children and adolescents receive the same dosage of Pfizer-BioNTech COVID-19 vaccine as adults. There are no patient weight requirements for COVID-19 vaccination, and COVID-19 vaccine dosage does not vary by patient weight.
  • Your child can’t get COVID-19 from any COVID-19 vaccine, including the Pfizer-BioNTech vaccine.
  • Your child may get a COVID-19 vaccine and other vaccines at the same visit or without waiting 14 days between vaccines.

Teddy from 7th grade took the Pfizer vaccine. For the first  vaccine he had a sore arm for 1 day. But for the 2nd vaccine, “…was pretty bad, I had a sore shoulder for a couple of days, and a headache for the first few hours after the shot.” While Aiden from 7th grade had nothing for the first shot of the vaccine, and for the second only a sore arm.

Isaac from 6th grade said, “I will take Pfizer or Moderna, whichever one is better…” He wants to take the vaccine.

Henry, a 7th grader,  took the vaccine and said he had a,  “…sore arm, and by what I am meaning sore arm is, it felt like a bruise that hurts when you touch it.”

While people have different opinions about the vaccine, one thing we know for sure is that, if you take the vaccine there will be less chance of you getting sick by Covid-19.