Gryphon Gazette

Nos Encanta Spanish!

Elise A., Editor

What Everyone Ought to Know About Spanish at NSA

Hola North Star! Quieres practicar Espanol? In other words, interested in practicing Spanish? If you’re in 6th grade, going into 7th, this might be the best program to make you a better Spanish speaker. It gives you the opportunity to skip straight to Spanish 2 in highschool and take a language two years instead of three. This recently developed curriculum gives you the opportunity to take an official, Spanish language class, accompanied by other people from your grade! No experience is needed, but even if you do speak fluently, it’s a great class to be in for review. The class happens in place of enrichment for the 7th and 8th graders.

Ms. Reinhart and Ms. Martin shared their thoughts on the class, and it’s progress through the few years that they have provided it. “Me encanta! I love teaching Spanish!” exclaimed Senora Reinhart. “I think it’s been great! The kids are doing really really well. I’m very proud of them.” The teaching strategies for the two teachers covers most aspects of teaching, as Ms. Martin enjoys hands-on learning while Ms. Reinhart incorporates a lot of posters and songs in her teaching, but they both do end up intertwining. “I wonder what the future holds for the North Star Spanish Program… I’d like to see the Spanish Program extend to the elementary grades in the future,” said Ms. Martin.

In the presence of the class, I was able to attend and experience what these students experience everyday. They both consist of reading excerpts from the given textbooks as a class, collaborating briefly with partners, then reviewing with the help of posters, songs, or poems. Most of the work revolves around meaning and grammar, along with spelling. In 8th grade, tests are common every Wednesday, but pop quizzes can be given once in awhile. In 7th grade, the curriculum starts with basic communications, and proper pronunciation, along with cultural understanding. Test are not as common, but do take the same amount of work to achieve.

We managed to receive reviews from some of the 8th graders currently participating in this class. Mia H., Evan C., Ryan K., and Greta R. mostly commented on the same things, mentioning how they enjoyed the opportunity to learn a new language with little homework. “It’s very easy to learn, it’s very well thought out… you can work as you go,” said Ryan. Although there are some things that might be stressful such as, “The tests that she gives if we’re not doing anything,” Evan commented. But overall they all had the same approach to recommending the class. “Definitely yes, if they (potential takers) want to take less in highschool, and if they want to learn a new language,” exclaimed Greta. The students were all very glad they had taken it, as Mia described when asked if she thought the class was worth her time, “Yeah, because I know a new language now.”

To sign up for the class, 6th graders will be given a form at the end of the year asking if they are interested in signing up. For more information, contact either the office, or Ms. Rienhart or Ms. Martin directly. Diviértete aprendiendo español!  

1 Comment

One Response to “Nos Encanta Spanish!”

1. Mia on March 9th, 2018 2:03 pm

This is such a good article Elise! Good job buddy 🙂

[Reply]

If you want a picture to show with your comment, go get a gravatar.

• Nos Encanta Spanish!

School News

Ms.Martin, The New 7th Grade Teacher

• Nos Encanta Spanish!

School News

The Gravity of Ms. Rineharts Adios

• Nos Encanta Spanish!

School News

The Duncan Debaters

• Nos Encanta Spanish!

School News

5th Graders Speak Out About Freedom

• Nos Encanta Spanish!

School News

The Final Marble Drops

• Nos Encanta Spanish!

School News

We Went To WE Day

• Nos Encanta Spanish!

School News

The World Famous Kenyan Boys Choir Performs At North Star Academy

• Nos Encanta Spanish!

School News

Beloved Third Grade Math & Science Teacher Leaves NSA to Tour the U.S.A

• Nos Encanta Spanish!

School News

Student Council

• Nos Encanta Spanish!

School News

Father Daughter Dance / Sweetheart Dance

The Student News Site of North Star Academy
Nos Encanta Spanish!