Gryphon Gazette

Buddy Lunch

Aditya G. and Maverick Y.

Buddy Lunch

“Buddy Lunch!” Ms.Shackle, North Star Academy’s school principal, shouts from the school blacktop. Buddy lunch has been a North star tradition for ten years! This lunch pairs a younger student with an older student that is three grades higher, as buddies. They meet once a month on a pre-assigned date. The younger student has the same buddy until fifth grade. In sixth grade, the student becomes an older buddy for their remaining years at North Star Academy.

Ms. Lozano, the founder of buddy lunch, really likes buddy lunch because she likes to see younger kids hanging out with older kids. She says, “It gives a chance for younger and older kids to hangout.” Ms. Lozano also said that she would like more time for buddy lunch. It takes time to find the buddies, it takes time to eat and after that they only have about 15 minutes to play. She also would like buddy committee to have more time to set it up. Ms. Lozano said that there are really good buddies this year. She thinks that there are enough buddy lunches in a school year. To assure younger buddies, Ms. Lozano said, “If I see any mean buddies then I will give them a lecture and sort out the problem.”

Ms. Shackle has a different take on buddy lunch. Ms. Shackle said “I like buddy lunch to see kids playing with people that they don’t usually play with.” She also said “ buddy lunch is a good way for younger kids to know older kids.” She also said “There should be more picnic tables for the buddies to sit on.” Ms. Shackle thinks that the younger buddies can learn to be respectful, how the school will be when they get older, how to be a mentor, and also how to be a better person growing up.” We also asked Ms. Shackle if she liked the amount of buddy lunches, to which she replied, “There are enough buddy lunches in the year.” (once a month). She would also yell if people did not play with their buddies.

Mr. Chun is the vice principal at North Star, he said “I like buddy lunch because it brings together students and friends that sometimes don’t hang out together.”, he also said “Buddy lunch should include activities.” Mr. Chun thinks that the younger buddies learn what it means to be positively responsible. He also said “There should be more buddy lunches for older buddies to stay humble.”

Danny Li, a 6th grader, said “I like buddy lunch because I like playing with my buddy and listening to music.” Danny thinks that there should be more activities like mini field day.  He also said “Younger buddies can learn what North Star is going to be like and what the community is going to be like when they are older.” Danny thinks that there should be one buddy lunch every two weeks. He also said “I would go to the Buddy Committee and see if they can fix the problem.” Buddy lunch is a fun activity for everybody to participate in, at North Star Academy!

2 Comments

2 Responses to “Buddy Lunch”

1. Maverick Yee on January 22nd, 2018 2:51 pm

great story im not saying that because i wrote it

[Reply]

2. Arjun F. on February 28th, 2018 2:28 pm

I’m sorry, but I thought I asked you to retake the buddy photo.

[Reply]

If you want a picture to show with your comment, go get a gravatar.

• Buddy Lunch

School News

Ms.Martin, The New 7th Grade Teacher

• Buddy Lunch

School News

The Gravity of Ms. Rineharts Adios

• Buddy Lunch

School News

The Duncan Debaters

• Buddy Lunch

School News

5th Graders Speak Out About Freedom

• Buddy Lunch

School News

The Final Marble Drops

• Buddy Lunch

School News

We Went To WE Day

• Buddy Lunch

School News

The World Famous Kenyan Boys Choir Performs At North Star Academy

• Buddy Lunch

School News

Beloved Third Grade Math & Science Teacher Leaves NSA to Tour the U.S.A

• Buddy Lunch

School News

Student Council

• Buddy Lunch

School News

Father Daughter Dance / Sweetheart Dance

The Student News Site of North Star Academy
Buddy Lunch