The Student News Site of North Star Academy

Gryphon Gazette

Gryphon Gazette

Gryphon Gazette

Poll

What's the most important way we can protect the environment, in your opinion?

Sorry, there was an error loading this poll.

Trailblazing the Math Pathways
Trailblazing the Math Pathways
Jenna.K April 26, 2024
Our Environmental Greenhouse
Our Environmental Greenhouse
Genesis X, Marcie H, and Karysa L April 23, 2024
Your Student Council at Work
Diamond April 19, 2024

Was 2023 All That Good?

Lots of people are looking forward to the new year of 2024, but why is that? Is it because 2023 was not a good year? Find out what students think about 2023. 

A fourth grader said his highlight of the year was going to Canada with their family. They rated the difficulty of the school year in 2023 as a 6- pretty difficult-. The fourth grader was very clear about this, “The worst thing that happened in 2023 at school was the vandalized bathrooms.” How do the responses of the higher grades compare to this reply?

Seventh grader Logan B said that the best thing in 2023 that happened was that “The food at school was improved-ish. [For hot lunch]” The worst thing that happened for him in 2023 though, was that he got an F on a social studies test. Overall he rated the difficulty of the year at an 8-really hard-.

An eighth grader, Nicholas, said he was pleased with the Yosemite trip he took, which was his high point of the 2023 school year. A highlight outside of school, on the other hand, was his family road trip he went on. Like Logan,  his lowest time of 2023 was a bad test score in seventh grade. Sadly the lows outweighed the highs of Nicholas’s year and he rated 2023 a nine- immensely hard-.

On the other hand with a more adult perspective, Coach Jawuan said that the best thing that happened in school during the year 2023 was that he got to go to Yosemite for the first time. The worst thing that happened in school was that he lost his school keys. For him, spending time with his family was really great especially with his mom and that was the best thing that happened outside of school in 2023. The worst thing outside of school though, was that his car stopped on the expressway and, “this was a very scary moment.”

Mrs. Lewcock, who is a long-term sub for Mrs. Suresh, says that the best thing that happened to her in 2023 during school was that, “We got to see the Hip-Hop Nutcracker.” Outside of school though, the best thing that she got to experience was a trip to Rome and Venice without any kids. Another thing that was really fun for her outside of school was a trip to Italy with her whole family. The worst thing that happened outside of school though, was that they had to cancel a trip to London because her daughter got Covid. For Mrs. Lewcock, she rated her 2023 two in terms of difficulty and it seems like she had a great year for the most part.

From the information gathered, the teachers should keep doing what they are doing since it is working out. It did seem that 2023 was a big hump to climb over and surpass from the students’ perspective. Hopefully, with these new experiences, 2024 will not be as hard.