The Student News Site of North Star Academy

Gryphon Gazette

Gryphon Gazette

Gryphon Gazette

Poll

What's the most important way we can protect the environment, in your opinion?

Sorry, there was an error loading this poll.

7th grade Yosemite trip
7th grade Yosemite trip
Justin. A May 24, 2024
What Really Happens at Lunch
What Really Happens at Lunch
Shepard A May 24, 2024
The School’s New Counselor
The School’s New Counselor
Amru A. and Arden M. May 21, 2024

What Really Happens at Lunch

At lunch, kids burst out the doors of the building and out onto the yard. They eat their lunch, and then entertain themselves for the rest of the time. But what do they do? Are there enough balls to do so? Is what they are playing safe? 

Activities at lunch vary a lot, from football to simply sitting together talking. Of those interviewed most played volleyball or three flags up, but other answers included basketball, four-square, soccer, and football. 4-square is extremely common amongst 3rd and 4th graders, but boys of 5th grade and up tend to stick to mainstream sports. Girls most often talk or play basketball, volleyball or soccer.

Many students say there are not enough balls in the ball shack, so they have resorted to bringing balls from home. Comments on whether there were enough balls ranged from “Definitely not” from 5th grader Michael to “Yeah, of course” from 5th grader Anson. The adults, however, thought that there were enough balls, including two of the PE coaches.  Coach Juwan said that there was an “overflow.” Coach Cagle said the school has just received a new shipment of balls for the shack. 

There is also a heated debate about which activities at lunch are dangerous and should be banned. On the unsafe side, many people think that tackle football, grounders and other forms of tag, and playing “crossy road” with the swing set are all unsafe to play at lunch and recess. However,  most students that played sports like football and soccer thought that all common games at lunch are safe, if players listen to the rules.