The Student News Site of North Star Academy

Gryphon Gazette

Gryphon Gazette

Gryphon Gazette

Poll

What's the most important way we can protect the environment, in your opinion?

Sorry, there was an error loading this poll.

Trailblazing the Math Pathways
Trailblazing the Math Pathways
Jenna.K April 26, 2024
Our Environmental Greenhouse
Our Environmental Greenhouse
Genesis X, Marcie H, and Karysa L April 23, 2024
Your Student Council at Work
Diamond April 19, 2024

What Happened to All Day Enrichment?

This year all day enrichment was canceled. Principal Dr Emily O’Neal decided to change all day enrichment and use the thousands of dollars that usually go to pay for field trips and buses on extras like bringing in members of the community to teach more interesting and in depth classes.

It is a test trial to see if kids will like different classes or if they want more of the  same. For example, the money for all day enrichment comes from parents, and field trips are very expensive. Next year there will be one enrichment that will be all day enrichment. The other enrichment trimesters will be a different idea than all day enrichment.  Some classes will have a chance to showcase their work on a school-wide walk through.

Ms. Phelica, a NSA sub and parent said, “If every enrichment class goes on a field trip on the same day, you would need around 135 parents to chaperone all day enrichment.”

Teachers think that this new idea will help conserve money, and the school can do something else with the money. For example, the money can go to pay for new and more interesting classes taught by professionals. We will still have on all day enrichment but the two other trimester we will be doing something else.

When this school year is over, there will be a school survey to see if scholars liked the new idea, or not and giving their perspective of how they saw this idea. Teachers want to make enrichment as fun as possible for everyone.

Assistant principal, Mr. Havey said a quote from Doctor Seuss, “Unless someone like you cares a whole lot, nothing is going to get better. It’s not,” by Doctor Seuss.

“Kids like all day enrichment,” Piers, a fifth grader, said. So it’s good that we are not totally going away from the idea but we certainly are not focusing on the idea of full day enrichment.

While there is a lot of disagreement with this new idea, there are also some people that think this will be beneficial for the school. The plan is not finalized yet. This is just a test trial to see if scholars will like the idea.  We will have to wait until next year to see what the future brings!