The Student News Site of North Star Academy

Gryphon Gazette

Gryphon Gazette

Gryphon Gazette

Poll

What's the most important way we can protect the environment, in your opinion?

Sorry, there was an error loading this poll.

Trailblazing the Math Pathways
Trailblazing the Math Pathways
Jenna.K April 26, 2024
Our Environmental Greenhouse
Our Environmental Greenhouse
Genesis X, Marcie H, and Karysa L April 23, 2024
Your Student Council at Work
Diamond April 19, 2024

Ants, Ants, and More Ants

Have you ever seen ants in your classroom or locker? Well, you probably have, because ants are a big problem in our school even if they’re small because they get everywhere and they’ve become a nuisance. When we asked students to put how annoying the ants are on a scale of 1-10, they saw it on a level of 6-7.

They seem to mostly be in the 2-story building because Ms. Defouw, the fourth grade science teacher in the 2nd story building said “Yes they’re in the desks, everywhere,” when she was asked if ants are a problem, but Mr. Flint, the 7th and 8th grade social studies teacher in the 1st story building simply said “No.”

A 4th grader named Kaya has also reported ants getting into her lockers. A student said “They are a problem because they get into people’s lockers and people usually keep food in their lockers.”

And it isn’t just ants but also how we had a whole colony of cockroaches in the girls bathroom before. To be honest, we all think that the school needs an exterminator.

And the ants are no small problem. One thing we can all do is not store any food or drinks in our lockers,  clean up ourselves and not leave food in the classroom because it can attract ants. 

When ants find something good, they emit a special chemical attracting even more ants, and then the problem triples also since many people have food in their lockers the ants remember that there’s food. Then, they will keep on coming which gives more chemicals which will attract more which will keep on feeding the cycle. Part of the problem according to a Stanford researcher, is that there is a huge ant colony miles long and the 2-story building sits right on top of it.  

The School district has to be very careful about using chemicals so the best thing we can do is keep our lockers free of food and pick up all our trash after we eat.