The Student News Site of North Star Academy

Gryphon Gazette

Gryphon Gazette

Gryphon Gazette

Poll

What's the most important way we can protect the environment, in your opinion?

Sorry, there was an error loading this poll.

Ms. Robinson Retiring
Ms. Robinson Retiring
Amru A., Arden M., and Will April 29, 2024
Trailblazing the Math Pathways
Trailblazing the Math Pathways
Jenna.K April 26, 2024
Our Environmental Greenhouse
Our Environmental Greenhouse
Genesis X, Marcie H, and Karysa L April 23, 2024

Trailblazing the Math Pathways

In fifth grade, North Star scholars take a test to determine which math class they will be in–the accelerated math or the regular math class. Why do they do it? “We want you to have a class at your skill level,” says Mr Haynes. 

The way it works is that there are 2 levels of math in 6th grade. One class is 6th grade, and the other class gets taught 6th and half of 7th grade math. Each grade in the advanced math class will be taught 1 and a half grades of math each year so in 8th grade, they will learn algebra. 

Except this year there will be no tests, and the teachers take the results of the state tests and the other tests kids will take. According to Ms. Robinson, the teachers don’t have enough time to place the kids in the classes after they get the test results. The test results used to come out in August. “It’s because before, we didn’t get to have the results of the CAASPP test soon enough,” Says Ms. Robinson.

North Star is different from other schools when it comes to math pathways. Mr Haynes says that North Star doesn’t have a lower level math class like other schools. That doesn’t mean North Star kids are smarter, it just means that everyone is at grade level or higher.

Some people might be wondering why North Star doesn’t have a geometry class for eighth graders. Other middle schools offer a geometry class so you don’t have to do it in high school or over the summer. Mr Haynes says, “The state standards changed.” 

Scholars have different opinions about the math pathways program. Overall, they think it is good and helpful for them to do. Colton from 6th grade says, “If you’re not used to learning really fast, it’s good to see which class you’re in.” Some fifth graders don’t like it as much, and some are nervous.  “I don’t like it because people will judge me,” says Navya from 5th grade. “I’m nervous about which class I’ll be in,” says Edith in 5th grade.

The math pathways program is to help students learn math well at their own pace, not rushed and badly. “Not everybody can learn it well if they learn it fast,” says Ms. Robinson.